Homeowners are continually experimenting with roofing ideas! They want to maintain their roofs well as well as arrive at new ways of arranging it, aesthetically. Recently, planting rooftops of these urban areas brings ample advantages to the social, public, economic, and private sectors. It also benefits global and local environments.
Most of the green roofs have the same function, but every installation is unique. Hence, the technical performance varies by climate, region, green roof type, design, and building. That’s the reason why most homeowners today are getting attracted to the concept of green roofing.
To install a green roof, it is essential to get in touch with an ace roofing contractor. To learn more about this, you can check out PRC Utah Roofing Contractor Utah Service Areas.
The standard benefits
The usual benefit of green roofing are:
- Increases the life of your roof – A green covering protects the roof from ice, snow, and harsh UV rays. When the roof is shielded from extreme temperatures and the elements, it lasts longer and becomes more durable.
- Sound insulation – Green roofs absorb noise, from hail and rain. It also absorbs other environmental noise.
- Provides insulation against cold and heat – Green roofs remain cool during summers and pleasantly warm during winters. There’s effective energy management, which minimizes the energy bills.
- Added space – A green roof is an area where you can walk around and showcase like a garden space. It gives you ample space to grow herbs and vegetables.
- Aesthetic benefit – Green roofs add to the beauty and look of your home. It gives the residents a good view.
Some of the ecological benefits are:
- Enhances the ambient air – Leaves can absorb heavy metals, 16% of zinc, and about 95% of lead, copper, and cadmium. The air pollution atop parks and gardens is 80% less. Also, the photosynthesis process minimizes the amount of CO2 in the air and generates more oxygen.
- Better microclimate – Green roofs usually get created in big cities and towns. It enables the buildings to store all the heat during the daytime and radiate the same when night falls. It reduces the humidity levels and increases the temperature. Green roofs are known to reduce this impact. Hence, residents can stay in better and comfortable living conditions.
- Minimizes the water issues – About 30% to 50% of the rainwater gets filtered as well as absorbed in the vegetation layer, drainage layer, and the substratum. And this leads to reduced water present in the sewage systems.
- Maximized biodiversity – The green roofs are contributing to the growth of fauna in urban city life. It creates a habitat for birds, butterflies, pollinating insects, and many more.
- The greenery around – City life lacks greenery when compared to the rural regions. Green roofing helps to maximize the greenery in your roof, which is a refreshing and pleasant sight.
Can any roof get converted into a green roof?
Though most roofs can get converted to a green roof, many roofs aren’t suitable. Concrete offers the sturdiest structure and gets used with plastic, metal, wood, and gypsum. Additionally, the flat roofs can get converted to green roofs easily.
Green Roof Installation
Green roofs get installed in commercial and residential buildings to minimize the adverse environmental impacts. However, it is essential to consider a few aspects before the installation process. The crucial factors are:
- Estimate the weight tolerance
One of the essential elements before installing a green roof is to estimate the weight the roof can handle. The soil layer depth for the roof without the need for a specialized structural design is between four and six inches. As the soil layer depth increases, it also increases the roof pressure as well.
Hence, roofs need to be sturdy enough to withstand this pressure. In any situation, the roof shouldn’t wobble or shudder. If you are unsure about your roof structure, you need to consult a roofing expert before installing the green roof. For seismic zones, it is essential for homeowners to opt-in for special considerations to stay safe, based on the roof height.
- Choose the best location and surface
It is essential to choose the best place for a green roof installation. If your roof has a flat surface, the installation process is simple. Also, upkeep and maintenance are easy. You can install the low-sloping roof surface without any stabilization requirement. If a roof has a steep surface, it might require an extra reinforcing system, for instance, a terracing system or a tray planting so that the soil stays in place.
Easy steps for installing the green roof
You can install green roofs by making use of planting trays. Also, you have the option to develop an edged rooftop landscape space as well. The other way is to buy vegetated mats that have succulents and other plants that grow on ground akin to any nursery. Some of the steps that will help you with the installation are:
- Make sure to install a waterproof membrane of plastic or rubber.
- Place a plastic sheet atop the membrane to act as the root barrier.
- Place a slim insulation layer atop the first two layers.
- Manage the drainage mat that has capillary spaces atop the insulation
- Now you can add the soil and keep the plants in place.
Alternatively, you can also install the mesh gutter guards with wood as well as other edgings. It enables drainage and keeps the soil in place. Organizing and devising support is essential so that it doesn’t pass through the waterproof membrane for preventing leaks.
Today, more people are moving to urban areas. That makes green roofs as an obvious housing choice as it can support plant and other crop growth. It helps homeowners to look at their roofs as a potential source of urban agriculture, which can add to the overall agricultural growth. It also plays an essential role in managing the urban environment. Furthermore, green roofs help improve the air quality that gets affected because of pollution. Green roofs also help in providing fertilizer-free, organic produce as well.
Even though there are several DIY methods for green roofing, it’s a smart call to seek advice from professional roofing contractors. They can guide you based on your roof conditions, requirements, and budget capacity. You can search for the one online and sign up.