Since teak is a dense and oily wood, the natural oil that is present within the wood protects it from termites. This oil keeps the wood from absorbing the water, ensuring significantly durability of your outdoor teak furniture.
This type of furniture is capable of lasting for many generations if it is skillfully crafted. When teak wood furniture is new, it has a golden honey color. But with time, it naturally fades into a light gray patina. The good news is this change in color does not affect the strength of the wood.
If you want to stick to the original golden color of your teak wood outdoor furniture, there are a couple of precautions you can take to slow down its aging. A regular cleaning routine is necessary to keep your teak wood furniture looking aesthetically beautiful for a long time. Teak is durable, long lasting wood and only requires some basic cleaning to prevent external mold growth and to remove dirt.
Here are some proven cleaning tips:
- It is better to clean your teak wood outdoor furniture on a sunny day. This is important as it help your furniture to dry quickly. Soapy water is generally used for basic cleaning.
- You can also use a professionally recommended teak cleaner product, which will brighten the wood and clean it at the same time.
- When you are cleaning, make sure you use a non-metallic brush and scrub in the same direction as the grain. Do not use much force and rinse off your outdoor furniture with a water hose.
- After you are done with your cleaning, pat the furniture dry using a towel and let the sun dry up any leftover moisture. Allow sufficient time for the wood to dry completely, in case you wish to clean it with a teak sealer application.
- Stains are never a problem for teak wood furniture, if you keep cleaning up spills quickly and stick to regular cleaning routine. Make sure you are always using a soft-bristled scrub brush and soapy water for removing stains and dirt.
- In case there are a few tough coffee and red wine stains that might get into the wood, rely on a commercial product to get the job done. When that doesn’t help, you can sand the surface of the wood for removing the stain completely. Start with coarser sandpaper followed by finer grain sandpaper for a smooth finish.
Your teak wood outdoor furniture, such as your patio furniture, can be left outdoors all year round. It is tough to handle extreme weather conditions. But if you live in an area with a seasonal climate, it helps to bring your patio furniture indoors or cover it during the winters. Make sure the cover you are using does not trap moisture. This is important because you do not want to provide favorable conditions for mold to grow on the exterior of teak wood. Tyvek is ideally used for making covers for protecting outdoor furniture.
Maria, from Distinct Homes recommends that if you are leaving your teak wood furniture outside in the cold season, give it a good cleaning in the spring season before using it. You can enjoy your teak wood outdoor furniture for years as it remains as good as new throughout the year. Since it lasts a long time, it is the most popular choice for patio furniture items. Clean it often for your children to enjoy it with you for the rest of your life.