Deciding on the right decor style for your home can be quite difficult. However, instead of choosing a single one, you may consider the combination of several styles and thus manage to strike that perfect balance and create an inviting atmosphere. For instance, you can fuse traditional and modern design elements by introducing different accessories, patterns and colours. In order to help you achieve this in no time, we’ve singled out a list of some amazing ideas and suggestions.
Give minimalism a try
Minimalism has gained in popularity immensely over the last couple of years and it doesn’t seem that this craze will fade away any time soon. So, if you want to create a truly modern home, going minimalistic is the right way. This style would also allow you to add traditional furniture pieces and accessories without making your home look overcrowded and messy. For instance, if you’ve opted for a modern red sofa, you can pair it with a vintage-looking coffee table or a unique Arts and Crafts rug and thus manage to introduce two opposite designs in one room without ending up with something incoherent and awkward.
A fresh coat of paint
Your apartment may be full of different traditional rustic pieces that you simply adore and don’t want to get rid of. However, you can always try to freshen them up and add a more modern feel to their design. For example, by painting your old kitchen cupboards, you’ll get a chance to preserve their vintage quality and make them look more contemporary at the same time. You can go for those amazing Pantone shades that have been predicted to be the most popular this year. On top of that, feel free to experiment a bit and don’t hesitate to opt for bolder choices which will speak volumes about your great taste and ability to think outside the box.
Mix these styles in your bathroom
Your bathroom is the perfect place to achieve this special mixture of modern and traditional elements. You can start by installing brass faucets that will, together with an antique credenza or vanity cabinet, help you experience the spirit of a bygone era, making you feel as if you were taking a bath in one of the royal bathrooms. In addition to that, elegant mirrors have been shown to be a great choice as well, since these can really tie the whole room together and add that finishing touch to the place. Finally, think about incorporating a few traditional art pieces which will be a great contrast to a predominantly traditional design.
Make your traditional home more practical
A traditional design can be quite fascinating; however, it hasn’t always been the most practical option. So, if you want to make it work, we advise you to go for more modern lighting options, textiles and storage space. For example, LEDs have proven to be extremely energy-efficient and can save you hundreds of dollars per year. Furthermore, they don’t emit excessive heat, and can cast a natural light that will further highlight the beauty of your home’s interior design. Moreover, investing in a quality storage solution is a prerequisite for living in a nice and neatly-organised home. After all, no matter how sophisticated and elegant its style is, if you don’t keep it decluttered and clean, everything will be in vain. Therefore, remember to make good use of vertical space by installing enough shelves in each room where you can keep all the items that you need daily, as well as your beautiful antique accessories. Additionally, your bedroom is a place which can get messy extremely fast, so we suggest installing a few extra drawers beneath your bed, where you can store all the linens and your summer/winter clothes.
You can choose your favourite
Finally, when we talk about mixing two styles, we don’t mean that you have to follow the fifty-fifty rule. Instead, you can choose your favourite decor option and then add a supporting one to it. For example, you can decorate 80% of the house in your main style and then the other 20% will be enough to break the monotony and contribute to a super-chic and cohesive look. In other words, going predominantly modern and then introducing a few vintage elements here and there is absolutely an amazing solution.
As you can see, achieving a perfect mixture of different styles doesn’t have to be hard at all. You just need to follow your own ideas and decorate your home so that you will feel pleasant and relaxed while spending time here. Lastly, remember that you’re the one in control and should always strive to express your personality and show off your creative side as well.